Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
As a Library Representative you have several roles which are explained below.
To see an overview of the tasks you will need to perform throughout the year see the Library Representative timeline.
If you have any queries, or would like to make an appointment to discuss your responsibilities in more detail, contact your subject liaison librarian.
Managing the School's library budget
As Library rep you are responsible for organising expenditure and ordering books. Including:
- monitoring budgets throughout the year to ensure the allocation is spent by the designated deadline;
- organising the ordering of books for your colleagues (by passing on requests to your subject liaison librarian for processing or by encouraging your colleagues to contact your liaison librarian directly with their order requests, which will then be ordered subject to agreed parameters);
- ensuring adequate and timely provision of resources for new modules.
To find out more follow the link below:
Send details of any books you want to order to your Academic Liaison Librarian:
Developing collections in your subject area
The Library collections should support teaching and research in your subject area. Help us do this by...
- drawing up collection development policies with the liaison librarian;
- being consulted about possible withdrawals.
Disseminating Library information to colleagues
You need to keep informed of Library developments and pass these on to your colleagues. This includes:
- attending relevant Committees and/or circulating reports from the Library if you are unable to attend in person;
- disseminating communications from your subject liaison librarian if they do not have access to school email lists.
Keeping us informed
Help your liaison librarian keep up to date with:
- new modules;
- ceased modules;
- new members of staff;
- reading lists;
- opportunities to support teaching of information skills;
- invitations to relevant committees, such as staff-student committees.
List of Library Representatives
Each school/department has a library representative who liaises with the Library. In particular they are responsible for collecting book requests from their colleagues and students and passing them on to their liaison librarian.